Rangpur At a Glance

Rangpur is a district in Northern Bangladesh. It is a part of the Rangpur Division. Area 2307.78 square kilometers. Geography Under the RANGPUR division (one of seven divisions) composed of eight districts of the northern Bangladesh, the District of Rangpur is bordered on the north by Nilphamari District, on the south by Gaibandha District, on the east by Kurigram, and on the west by Dinajpur district. Rangpur town is the divisional headquarter. The soil composition is mainly alluvial soil (80%) of the Teesta River basin, and the remaining is barind soil. The temperature ranges from 32 degrees Celsius to 11 degrees Celsius, and the annual rainfall averages 2931 mm.  History Rangpur was conquered by the army of Raja Man Singh, a commander of the Mughal emperor, Akbar, in 1575, but it was only until 1686 that it was fully integrated into the Mughal Empire. Names of places like Mughalbasa (literal meaning being a locality of the Mughals), and Mughalhat (literal meaning a “local market” organized by the Mughals) bear testimony to the Mughal Association and past of Rangpur and its hinterland. Later on, Rangpur passed under the control of “Sarker” of Ghoraghat. During the period of the British East India Company, the Sannyasi Rebellion took place. Demographics Total population of Rangpur is 2534365, male 50.92%, female 49.08%. Islam is the predominant religion in Rangpur. Hinduism is the second largest religion in Rangpur. Muslim 89.60%, Hindu 9.59% and others 0.81%; ethnic nationals: Santal and Orao.The district consists of three municipalities, eight upazilas, 33 wards, 84 union parishads, 2151 mouzas and 1519 villages 203 mahallas. Rivers  Tista, Jamuneshwari, karatoya, Chikli and ghaghat.  Sub-districts The district has 3 municipalities, namely, Rangpur Main (Sadar), Badarganj, and Haragach, and eight Upazilas, namely: Badarganj Gangachara Kaunia Rangpur Sadar Mithapukur Pirgachha Pirganj Taraganj Rangpur town, covering an area of around 43 square kilometers, lies on the bank of the Ghaghat river, and was turned into a municipality back in 1869. The population of the Rangpur municipality as of 2006 is 251,699, with 52% male and 48% female, and the literacy rate is 54.6%. Establishment of Rangpur City Corporation, as Divisional City is now under way after the establishment of Rangpur Division in January 2010. The area of Rangpur City Corporation is estimated to be around 100 square kilometer accommodating about 6 million population by next Census of 2011. Rangpur city would be the fifth largest city of Bangladesh after Dhaka (125 million), Chittagong (30 million), Khulna (10 million) and Rajshahi (8 million) estimated population by the next 2011 census. History of Rangpur Municipality Rangpur is one of the oldest Municipality in Bangladesh, which was established in the year 1869. "Rangpur" declared as a District headquarter as on 16 December, 1769. The municipal office building was erected in the year of 1892 under the precedence Raja Janaki Ballav Sen. Chairman of the municipality to whom Rangpur is indebted for many works of public utility and for his assiduous efforts to advance the improvement of the town. During that period in 1890, "Sama sundari khal" was excavated for improvement of the town. The Municipality is located in the north western part of Bangladesh. Rangpur is an A-1 category Municipality. It has a present population of 3,20,000 [ 2,51,699 (2001 census)] covering an area of 50.66 sq km and the number of household is 55,184. It has 15 wards covering with population density is 6317 and average household size is 4.56. A considerable number of important institutions are situated in and around Rangpur Pourashva. These are a Carmaricle University college, Rangpur Medical College, Rangpur Cadet College and numbers of private Colleges and other govt. & non-govt. institutions etc. In addition, some medium and small size industries (textile, garments) have been established and the large industries have also been established within and around the town area. It is expected that the area of the township will increase in the near future. Development in the housing sector is also prominent. The institutions and industries have their own housing schemes; in addition, some private real estate developers have set up or have planned to set up several residential villages in the area. Rangpur is famous for its socio-economic and cultural heritage. The renowned visiting places are Rangpur Zoo, Tajhat rajbari, Dimlaraj Kali Mondir, Parjatan Motel, Karamotia Mosque, Mahiganj Shah Jalal Mazar, Mahiganj Paresnath Mondir and Rangpur Museum etc. It has turned into an important trade center because of its major agricultural product like paddy, tobacco, sugarcane, brinjal, ground nut, oil seeds, ginder, tomato etc. Some poultry firms and hatcheries have been developed in recent years. It has already turned into a trade center feeding the locality as well as Dhaka city. Because of good communication network with Dhaka. Rangpur serves as a collection and distribution of daily necessities of in and around the area. Commercial and business activities are rapidly growing in this town because of additional improvement of various sectors. Since becoming a District headquarters, the Pourashava has established itself as a significant market town. It has also benefited from an increase in employment opportunities resulting from increased numbers of Government facilities to the area. The major employment areas of the town are found in Old Rangpur(Mahigonj), New Market, BSCIC Industrial area, Government areas and along the main roads, The town has turned into an important trade center because of its major agricultural product like paddy, tobacco, sugarcane, brinjal, ground nut, oil seeds, ginder etc. Facilities include wholesale markets, Super market, agricultural products processing, rice husking mills and saw mills. Major large- scale industries incluing BSCIC Industrial area, Rangpur Foundry Ltd. Small � scale manufacturing enterprises include production of rickshaws and handicrafts. Business enterprises including construction industry; furniture making; metal working; automotive, electrical and mechanical repairs. Public services include barbers, bakeries, Fast food and restaurants. The town has already turned into a trade center feeding the locality as well as Dhaka city. Because of good communication network with Dhaka. Rangpur serves as a collection and distribution of daily necessities of in and around the area. Commercial and business activities are rapidly growing in this town because of additional improvement of various sectors. In the recent past, development of major government buildings, commercial and residential buildings has concentrated on the area to the North and South of the town, along the Rangpur- Dhaka and Rangpur Dinajpur road. The intensity of development in the centre of the Pourashava is considered high. The Pourashava will further pursue urban growth of the residential development of the peripheral areas, especially to the North and South.  The Pourashava is proud of its Zoo, Tajhat rajbari, Dimlaraj Kali Mondir, Parjatan Motel, Karamotia Mosque, Mahiganj Shah Jalal Mazar, Mahiganj Paresnath Mondir and Rangpur Museum etc. Education Rangpur University is the only university in Rangpur district. The Rangpur Medical College, situated in Ranpur is one of the major government medical colleges in Bangladesh. Carmichael College, established in 1916 by some leading zamindars, is a postgraduate college offering courses in 14 subjects in the faculties of arts, social science, science and commerce.The most renowned school in this region is Rangpur Zilla School. Zilla School is established in 1832, this higher secondary school is known for the quality of education it offers.Other prominent educational institutions include Rangpur Govt. College, Begum Rokeya College and Govt. Commercial Institute. Besides there is one polytechnic institute, one vocational institute, around 282 high schools, 722 government primary schools, 38 junior high schools, 193 NGO (Non Government Organization) operated schools and almost 370 Madrasahs in Rangpur.Places of interest Tajhat Rajbari, Keramatia Mosque, Dimlaraj Kali Mandir, Sree Sree Karunamaye Kali Mandir, Rangpur Museum, Rangpur Town Hall, Rangpur Public Library, Pareshnath Mandir at Mahiganj, tomb of the noted Islamic thinker Maulana Keramat Ali Jainpuri, tomb of Shah Jalal Bokheri at Mahiganj, tomb of Ismail Ghazi at Kataduar, carmichael college Building, home stead of roquiah sakhawat hossain at Pairabandh, Zila Parishad Building, Takka Mosque at Latifpur (Mughal period, Mithapukur upazila), three domed Jami Mosque at Mithapukur (Mughal period), four domed Taraganj Mosque, nine domed Radhanagar (Badarganj upazila) Mosque (Mughal period), tomb of Kutub Shah at Kutubpur, Vhim Garh at Manshinghpur (Badarganj upazila), Zamindar Bari at Roypur (Pirganj upazila), remnants of the palace of Raja Nilambar at Patgram (Pirganj upazila), Hari Mandir at Chandan Hat (Gangachara upazila) and Mitha Pukur (excavated during the Mughal period).  Tajhat Palace in Rangpur Just south of the city of Rangpur lies the Tajhat, a former "rajbari" or zamindar's palace. After the end of the British Raj, the building was abandoned and decayed rapidly, although it was used for a few years as a courthouse during the 1980s. In the year 2004, it was largely restored and turned into a museum with ancient inscriptions, art and coins from the area on display. RDRS (Rangpur and Dinajpur Rural Service) Bangladesh ,an NGO in northwest Bangladesh, has a large office and guesthouse/convention center in the town of Rangpur. A museum and women's training centre was established in Pairabondh, the birth place of famous Begum Rokeya. It is half an hour drive away from Rangpur city. Apart from the Tajbari museum there is another museum at the heart of the town. The town is known as Green town for its beautiful garden and green park throughout the town. It has a District magistrate office where the great Social Reformer Rammohan Roy served for long time. Nowadays there are lots of market places all through the city. Carmichael College, built during the Raj era, is located in Rangpur. The literacy rate has increased after the independence of the country from Pakistan. Rangpur University have been established in 2009 as the only PUBLIC UNIVERSITY in RANGPUR DIVISION. There are many schools, mosques, and temples in the city. Town Hall in Rangpur  There is a big Zoo at the heart of the city. There is an ancient auditorium named 'Town Hall' at the center of the city, where different cultural programs are held. The economy of the people is weak since there is no major natural resource like minerals and industry. In the rural areas, there are no source of income for landless poor people. In the great Rangpur region, no economic development took place until the 90s, mainly because of the yearly flooding the region used to see before the making of "Teesta Barrage." The coal is found near this district. There is a large military cantonment in the town. "Bhinno Jogot" is a big theme park and a popular picnic spot which is situated 15 kilometres from Rangpur Town. Near the stadium, there is a very beautiful place called 'Chicli vata' surrounding bij many lakes and rice fields